Places - Notable & Listed Buildings
This page lists notable and listed buildings in the local area. Information on listed buildings is available from historicengland.org.uk.
Notable buildings are defined as those properties having some historical significance but are not listed.
Church Cottage (H.E. 1236156)
The oldest house in Stansted is thought to be Church Cottage and would have been used by the priest visiting from Wrotham, to which Stansted was then a subordinate parish. This timber-framed house dates back to the 14th century with later alterations, the majority of which are 18th century.
Coldharbour Farmhouse (H.E. 1236190)
Court Lodge (H.E. 1236115)
Fairseat Manor (H.E. 1236169)
Fairseat House (H.E. 1236183)
The house was built in 1835 by Mr Horace Grant and was enlarged with further additions in about 1850. It was run as a Boarding School for about 50 young ladies until 1863 when it was bought by Major General John Kemball as a family home. From 1871 to 1930 the local Post Office operated from Coachman’s Cottage on the estate (now Fairseat Cottage). In 1935 a large wing and kitchen block, which were part of the original school, were demolished. The house was considerably improved at the turn of the century, including a new roof and the addition of a substantial orangery.
Horns Lodge (H.E. 1275707)
Horns Lodge is situated just outside of the Stansted Parish boundary in Fairseat Lane within the Parish of Ash-Cum-Ridley. The property dates back to the 14th century when it was a two-room hunting lodge and in 1620 was extended to include a new chimney, an inglenook fireplace and somewhat larger rooms. The property then became a farmhouse and continued as such until 1890 when the property was sold to the Pettings Estate Company and used residentially.
Old Malt House (H.E. 1275666)
Old Manor Cottage (H.E. 1236118)
Rumney Farmhouse (H.E. 1236151)
South Ash Manor (H.E. 1275615)
The property is situated on the boundary between the Parishes of Ash-Cum-Ridley and Stansted. South Ash Manor is a timber-framed house built on stone foundations which date back to the 12th-century. In the 14th-century the house was substantially developed by the Hodsoll family, after whom the nearby hamlet of Hodsoll Street is named. The Manor House and the timber-clad barn, now known as the ‘Stable Block’, were extensively restored at the turn of the century.
The Old Rectory (H.E. 1236111)
The Old Rectory in Stansted was built in 1847 for the first rector, Samuel White, and was the church rectory until 1969 when it was sold and became a private dwelling.
Nearby, in the rectory meadow, to the right of the drive entrance from Plaxdale Green Road stood the brick and timber-framed Tithe Barn which was demolished in 1920.
The Church of St Mary (H.E. 1236153)
The Church of St Mary the Virgin was built in the fourteenth century replacing an earlier chapel. In 1883 the church was completely restored and a small vestry constructed on the south side of the chancel.
In 2015 a free-standing extension ‘The Cloisters’ was built, linked to the main church by a covered walkway.
Stansted War Memorial (H.E. 1236154)
The original memorial statue by the Hungarian sculptor, Alajos Strobl, was erected in 1923 on land donated by Sir Gerald Hohler of Court Lodge. The statue was stolen in 1964 but successfully retrieved and reinstated. Following a second theft in 1995 the original statue was lost. The current statue was created by Faith Winter and rededicated on Remembrance Sunday 1996.
The house now known as Soranks Manor was built in the mid-1850s and stands on the foundations of a much earlier, medieval manor house. The land associated with the Manor comprised some 140 acres was held by Ralph de Sandwich during the reign of Henry III and was later passed to Edmund Sorank whose name is recorded in the assize roll of 1313 as a juror for Stansted.