Residential properties - Wrotham Hill Road
This page lists the residential properties in Wrotham Hill Road which runs from the junction with Tumblefield Road in an easterly direction where it joins Platt House Lane at the junction with Fairseat Lane. The Stansted Parish boundary roughly follows the road and properties in the Parish of Wrotham have been included for completeness.
Please get in touch with the Society should you have further information on any of the properties listed or suggest any alterations or additions.
The property is in the Parish of Wrotham. It was built in 1952 by Mr BW Harrison, local land owner and farmer of Wrotham Hill Farm. It was built for occupation by Mr Lane, the Farm Bailiff and the tenancy passed to Mr and Mrs Jeffrey Smith until 1978. In 1980 the then owners of the property, Mr and Mrs Hart, put the property on the open market and it was bought by Geoff and Denise Allgood who brought up their 3 daughters there.
Wrotham Hill Farm
The property was originally a barn in the farmyard of Wrotham Hill farm and in 1952 was in use as accommodation for agricultural workers. It was converted to a house and garden in 2003 and retained a large area of agricultural land to the south. A garage block with guestrooms (Wrotham Barn) was formed in 2007. An agricultural store building was added in 2018. The property is in the Parish of Wrotham.
Coldharbour is a 16th-century farmhouse (restored) and is prominently shown on maps from about 1800 onwards. It has a presumed Saxon earthwork 100 metres to its north. It is well known for being the home of a local celebrity and eccentric Colonel Alfred Wintle until his death in 1966. It was Grade II listed in 1984.
This farmhouse was built prior to 1789 when it was occupied by Thomas Fulljames, a shopkeeper from Wrotham. In 1841 the farm was run by John Jull and comprised 67 acres of arable land, meadow, and hops. In 1907 76 acres of land (which currently forms Manor Farm) was sold to Sir Philip Waterlow and in 1935 21 acres of land were transferred by Cortlandt and Grace Taylor to enable the creation of Margaret Macmillian Study Centre. By 1941 the farmhouse and remaing land (141 acres) were owned by Lady Nancy Astor and in 1959, she sold the farmland to Laurence Betts, leaving Platt House iteslf with about 4 acres of land. The house was extended in 2004 with the creation of an indoor swimming pool and, at the time of writing in 2022, has just undergone an extensive refurbishment. The Parish boundary runs just to the north and this property is consequently in the Parish of Wrotham.
Fairseat Court Farm
The property became a residential dwelling in 1992 having previously been rural buildings in the farmyard of Platt House (Platt House Farm). For a period in the 1970s and 1980s, the buildings were used as an equine therapy farm by L. Betts Ltd. The Parish boundary runs just to the north and this property is consequently in the Parish of Wrotham.