Residential properties - Vigo Road

This page lists the residential properties in Vigo Road which runs in a south-westerly direction from the top of Stansted Hill, through the centre of Faiseat, and finishes at the crossroads with the Gravesend Road and Vigo Hill.
Please get in touch with the Society should you have further information on any of the properties listed or suggest any alterations or additions.

Thanet Dene

To be completed

The Dairy Farm

To be completed

The Coach House

To be completed

Underpine Cottage

To be completed

Fairseat Lodge

To be completed

Fairseat Cottage

To be completed

Fairseat House

The house was built in 1835 by Mr Horace Grant and was enlarged with further additions in about 1850. It was run as a Boarding School for about 50 young ladies until 1863 when it was bought by Major General John Kemball as a family home.  In 1935 a large wing and kitchen block, which were part of the original school, were demolished and the house was considerably improved at the turn of the century, including a new roof and the addition of a substantial orangery. It was Grade II listed in 1984.

Court House

To be completed

Woolpack Barn

To be completed

The Old Post House

To be completed

Court House Farm

To be completed

Daisy Cottage

To be completed

Fairseat Farmhouse

To be completed

Fairseat Manor

The current building comprises a front elevation of the early 1700s with a much older building behind it. The building and the garden wall facing Vigo Road were Grade II* listed in 1952. The listing says that the original building dates from the 17th century but it could well be much older. The Georgian facade and high garden wall were added by John Cox after he has bought the older building from Sir Roger Twisden.

Staples Cottage

To be completed

Soranks Manor

The house now known as Soranks Manor was built in the mid-1850s and stands on the foundations of a much earlier, medieval manor house. The land associated with the Manor was held by Ralph de Sandwich during the reign of Henry III and was later passed to Edmund Sorank whose name is recorded in the assize roll of 1313 as a juror for Stansted. Hasted records the Manor as covering some 140 acres in 1548. Soranks Manor was the home of Ada Berry after whom the almshouses in Tumblefield Road are dedicated.

Fairlight Lodge

To be completed

Byways

To be completed

Meadow House

To be completed

Soranks Cottage

To be completed

Woodbine Farm

To be completed

Woodbine Farm Bungalow

To be completed

The Old Rectory

To be completed

Waterlow Cottage

To be completed

Olivers Cottage

To be completed

Langara

To be completed

Linton

To be completed

Brentwood

To be completed

Wayside

To be completed

Hawthorns

To be completed

Shambley Cottage

To be completed

Squirrel Trees

To be completed

Mayfield

To be completed

The Ridings

To be completed

Oakland

To be completed

Karistova

To be completed

Woodview

One of three identical bungalows built by Fred Waters in 1938 (along with Oakwood Cottage and Brighthill).

Brighthill

One of three identical bungalows built by Fred Waters in 1938 (along with Oakwood Cottage and Woodview).

Cherry Hay

To be completed

The Herons

To be completed

Oakwood Farm Cottage

One of three identical bungalows built by Fred Waters in 1938 (along with Brighthill and Woodview). Rebuilt in 2017/18 after Oakwood Farm was redeveloped.

1b Oakwood Farm (Pear Tree Cottage)

To be completed

1a Oakwood Farm (Apple Wood)

To be completed

Oak Tree Stables

To be completed

Whitecroft

To be completed

3 Manor Cottages

To be completed

2 Manor Cottages

To be completed

1 Manor Cottages

To be completed

Manor Farm

To be completed

Threipmure

To be completed

Pinewitch

The property was the local Police house until 1968

Wentshaw

To be completed