Residential properties - Tumblefield Road

This page lists the residential properties in Tumblefield Road which runs in a southerly direction from the junction with Plaxdale Green Road by St Marys Church, towards the A20 where it merges with Labour-in-Vain Road.
Please get in touch with the Society should you have further information on any of the properties listed or suggest any alterations or additions.

Church Cottage

Church Cottage is adjacent to St Marys Church and is thought to be the oldest house in Stansted. It would have been used by the priest visiting from Wrotham, to which Stansted was then a subordinate parish. The property dates back to the 14th century with later alterations, the majority of which are 18th century. It was extended significantly to the south in 1974 and was Grade II listed in 1984. Prior to 1900, it had been occupied as two tenements for many years by poor parishioners rent-free. 

The Black Horse (PH)

To be completed

Bretch

To be completed

Whitehouse

To be completed

Wheelwrights Cottage

Built in 1976 on a previously vacant plot.

High Tree

High Tree was built between 1841 and 1861, when the property was occupied by the Webb family who lived there for 60 years. From 1897 to 1924 it served as the Village Post Office. The property was significantly extended in the 1980s.

1 The Croft

This is one of four bungalows run by The Berry Housing Trust for older people with housing needs. This and the adjoining bungalow (now numbers 1 and 2) were built in 1925 by local builder Mr Joe Hills at a cost of £520. They are dedicated to the Rector, Arthur Round Cronk and his wife Catharine. The Rev. Cronk was the vicar of Stansted from 1898 to 1918 and had been a Trustee of the Housing Trust.

2 The Croft

This is one of four bungalows run by The Berry Housing Trust for older people with housing needs. This and the adjoining bungalow (now numbers 1 and 2) were built in 1925 by local builder Mr Joe Hills at a cost of £520. They are dedicated to the Rector, Arthur Round Cronk and his wife Catharine. The Rev. Cronk was the vicar of Stansted from 1898 to 1918 and had been a Trustee of the Housing Trust.

3 The Croft

This is one of four bungalows run by The Berry Housing Trust for older people with housing needs. This and the adjoining bungalow (now numbers 3 and 4) were built in 1911/12 by local builder Mr Joe Hills at a cost of £277. They were built in memory of Mrs Ada Berry who lived in Soranks Manor, Fairseat and who was a prominent advocate for more religious toleration, the spread of scientific ideas, improvement in education and in the conditions of the working people.

4 The Croft

This is one of four bungalows run by The Berry Housing Trust for older people with housing needs. This and the adjoining bungalow (now numbers 3 and 4) were built in 1911/12 by Mr Joe Hills at a cost of £277. They were built in memory of Mrs Ada Berry who lived in Soranks Manor, Fairseat and who was a prominent advocate for more religious toleration, the spread of scientific ideas, improvement in education and in the conditions of the working people.

Cobweb Cottage

To be completed

Forge Cottage

To be completed

The Old Forge

To be completed

Hollytree House

To be completed

Meadowlands

To be completed

1 Tumblefield Estate

To be completed

2 Tumblefield Estate

To be completed

3 Tumblefield Estate

To be completed

4 Tumblefield Estate

To be completed

5 Tumblefield Estate

To be completed

6 Tumblefield Estate

To be completed

7 Tumblefield Estate

To be completed

8 Tumblefield Estate

To be completed

Trewindor

To be completed

Rondello

To be completed

Goodmans Farm

The property was built in 1836 and was included in the 1841 list of tithe rents when it was known as Goose’s Farm. It was owned by John Alliston, who also owned Haytham Green Farm and Wises Farm, and was occupied by William Jarvis. The original farm comprised 17 acres of arable, meadow and woods.

Goodmans Barn

This property was part of Goodmans farm until about 1930. After Mr and Mrs Harvey-Moore moved out Mr Harold and Mrs Ethel Hunt bought the property the buildings acquired separate names.

Ruskins

To be completed

Stone Rede

To be completed

Homelea

To be completed

Stansted Lodge

To be completed

Stansted Lodge Farm

To be completed

The Chart

‘The Chart’ was built in 2017 and replaced a much older single-storey wooden house named ‘Stansted Lodge Bungalow’.