Residential properties - South Ash Road
This page lists the residential properties in South Ash Road which runs in a southerly direction from the junction with Pease Hill at the Stansted Parish boundary and continues as Ash Lane near South Ash Manor.
Please get in touch with the Society should you have further information on any of the properties listed or suggest any alterations or additions.
South Ash Manor
This property is a timber-framed house built on stone foundations which date back to the 12th century. In the 14th century, the house was substantially developed by the Hodsoll family, after whom the nearby hamlet of Hodsoll Street is named. In 1841 the farm comprised 226 acres of arable and woodland almost entirely in Ash Parish. It was owned by John and William Wild and was occupied by William Hodsoll. The Manor House and the timber-clad barn, now known as the ‘Stable Block’, were extensively restored at the turn of the century. The farmhouse was Grade II* listed in 1952. Since the early 1990s, the house and land have been part of the estate of The London Golf Club and the house has been renovated and used as offices. The Parish boundary runs lengthways through the building with the southern half being in Stansted and the northern half in Ash.