Residential properties - Plaxdale Green Road
This page lists the residential properties in Plaxdale Green Road which runs south-westerly from the Stansted War Memorial towards the A20 where it joins Labour-in-Vain road.
Please get in touch with the Society should you have further information on any of the properties listed or suggest any alterations or additions.
Court Lodge and farm buildings are next to St Mary’s church and the farmland surrounds Stansted village. The Lodge building and tithe barn are 17th century and were Grade II listed in 1984. The Lodge has an 18th-century building at the front and there are 16th-century internal fixtures which are possibly from Ightham Court or the Archbishop’s Palace at Wrotham. Famous previous residents are theatre director Granville Barker (1909 to 1917) and Sir Gerald Hohler, MP (1917 to 1934).
The Old Rectory
The Old Rectory was built in 1846 and replaced a former Rectory on the same site. Nearby, in the rectory meadow, to the right of the drive entrance from Plaxdale Green Road stood a brick and timber-framed Tithe Barn which was demolished in 1920. The Retory was used as the home of the Rector of Stansted church until 1968 when it passed into private hands. It was Grade II listed in 1984.
The Old Manor
The Cottage has 16th-century origins with 18th and 19th-century alterationsand there is a catslide roof to the west. The building is situated at right angles to Plaxdale Green Road about ¾ mile from the church. The original framework is visible inside the building and was grade II listed in 1984.
From the early 1960s camping took place at Thriftwood which was originally a smallholding and over the years this has expanded into a site for 50 touring pitches and 65 leisure homes. Yhe Manager’s house is near to the entrance barrier and was built in 2002 and replaced a previous house on the site.