Residential properties - Gravesend Road

This page lists the residential properties on the section of Gravesend Road along the boundary with Stansted from the Telephone Exchange to the Margaret McMillan Centre. Some of the properties are in the Parishes of Meopham, Vigo, and Trottiscliffe and have been included for completeness.
Please get in touch with the Society should you have further information on any of the properties listed or suggest any changes or additions.

The Grange (Tower Folly)

Previously named Tower Grange and then Tower Folly, the property was originally part of Millers Farm and was used for drying hops. It is one of the first oast houses to be converted to a home in 1903 and is thought to be unique with thirteen windows in the kiln roof. This property is in the Parish of Meopham.

Hartland Lodge

This property is in the Parish of Meopham

Barnfield Farm

This property is in the Parish of Meopham

New House

This property is in the Parish of Meopham

Lindenwood Cottage

This property is in the Parish of Meopham

The Pump House

To be completed

Lynwood

This property is in the Parish of Meopham

Wentfield Lodge

This property is in the Parish of Meopham

Wentfield

This is a large detached house that predates 1901. For many years the Lance family lived here who were largely responsible for the introduction of the Saluki breed of dog to the UK.

Lindenwood Manor

This was a large detached property which predated 1870 and was orginally called Porters Wood. It was demolished in 2012 and a new property was built in its place in 2015/16. This property is in the Parish of Meopham.

North Lodge

This property is in the Parish of Meopham

Wentshaw Lodge

To be completed

Vigo Retreat & Barn

The land to the north east of the old Vigo Inn, adjacent to Vigo Cottage, now contains self-contained holiday lets plus outbuildings originally called Vigo Retreat and Vigo Barn.

Vigo Cottage

The Vigo Inn (1471-2014) was separated into two dwellings in 2018. This part of the building was converted into a 2 bedroomed property.

Vigo House

The Vigo Inn (1471-2014) was separated into two dwellings in 2018. This part of the building was converted into a three-bedroomed property.

Wykendene

The house is built on the site of the old Gravesend Turnpike toll house which was demolished after 1901. It operated as the Daffodil cafe from before WW2 to the late 1960s and was a fruit and vegetable shop until 2018.

1 Central Lodge

The property is in the Parish of Trottiscliffe.

2 Central Lodge

The property is in the Parish of Trottiscliffe.

3 Central Lodge

The property is in the Parish of Trottiscliffe.

4 Central Lodge

The property is in the Parish of Trottiscliffe.

Fairacre

The bungalow was built in the 1930s by George Downs on a 1 acre vacant site purchased from Sir Edgar Waterlow. The site had previously been part of Manor Farm. George lived lived there with his wife Florence until 1947. It was originally called Cosy Lawne and changed to its current name in the early 1950s. The external facade was altered in 1980.

Garden Lodge

To be completed

The Pot House

The property is in the Parish of Trottiscliffe.

South Lodge

The property is in the Parish of Trottiscliffe.

MacMillan House

Built in the mid-1930s, the building is named after Margaret McMillan who dedicated her life to the developmental needs and educational progress of kindergarten and primary-age children; she had a profound effect on England’s education system including the establishment of Margaret McMillan House. The property is in the Parish of Wrotham.