Stansted Church - Bell Restoration
On the 9th June 1991 One hundred and fifty intrepid walkers accompanied the oldest bell in St Mary’s tower, named John and cast in 1420, back to Whitechapel Bell Foundry, a distance of 26 miles. Dressed in medieval costume they raised £15,500 towards the Bells project, a quarter of the funds needed to install a new bell frame, a ringing gallery, and cast three new bells to create a ring of six. A service of dedication was held at St Mary’s on 16th May 1992 to celebrate completion. The video below captures this event.