Stansted Church - Bell Restoration Project

On 9th June 1991 one hundred and fifty intrepid walkers accompanied the oldest bell in St Mary’s tower, named John and cast in 1420, back to Whitechapel Bell Foundry, a distance of 26 miles.  The project involved the dismantling and removal of the existing bells, the installation of a new bell frame, a ringing gallery, and the casting of three new bells to create a ring of six.  The photographs below highlight the various stages of the project.